Sunday, October 21, 2012

31 Days of Horror--Day 18 Mark Ryden and his Monkey

Mark Ryden in his studio

Mark Ryden is one incredibly dapper and talented artist.  As Pop Surrealists go, his work combines the sublime with the unsettling.  Here he explains his process:

"Well, I have to admit I don't really paint my paintings; a Magic Monkey does. He comes to my studio late at night, when it's very quiet. Mysterious things happen late at night when most people are asleep. I help the magic monkey, but he does most of the work. My job is to get him to show up.”

 And he wears a Pope's hat.  Sweet.

Here's some of Ryden's startling work, which seems peppered with innocent and winsome baby-headed girls, but look into their eyes.  They seem to know something.

Girl in a Fur Skirt
Incarnation
Sophia's Mercurial Waters
The Ecstasy of Cecelia
The Apology
Thankfully, Ryden isn't all sweet weird girls.  He happily treads into darker and more malevolent paths.

Fountain 

Clear Hearts, Gray Flowers

Jessica's Hope
Little Boy Blue
And the occasional celebrity portrait.  This painting makes Leo much cooler than he could ever, ever be.  I like to think that Ryden is obsessed with alternative forms of transportation in these last three paintings.

Leonardo Di Caprio