Thursday, April 19, 2012

Exhibit celebrates 20th Anniversary of TWIN PEAKS--FIRE WALK WITH ME


David Lynch's Twin Peaks television series, and his "prequel" film Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (1992), epitomize some of the most indelible nightmares witnessed on screens big and small.  I actually did not watch the series in its entirety in the early 90s--no cable then, but I did have two VCRs.  Not much later I purchased the series box set on VHS and became utterly addicted.  Television series such as The X Files and Fringe, or anything created by Joss Whedon and Bryan Fuller, are certainly influenced by Lynch's groundbreaking, twisted world.  We watch the pilot and first five episodes of the television series in my cult and camp class, and they never, ever get dated.  I feel proud whenever I hook a curious young student to this stuff!

I'm not a huge fan of Los Angeles.  I like my cities walkable and easily traversed using public transportation.  Still, the art scene in L.A. right now is mind-blowing, and the galleries and museums sprawled around the city make it an incredible destination.  The above image is "An Old Woman and Her Grandson" by SHAG, one of my favorite Pop Surrealist artists.  This work is part of a larger exhibit influenced by the 20th anniversary of Fire Walk with Me now showing at the Copro Gallery in Santa Monica, CA from April 21st-May 2nd, 2012.  You can check out articles on the show here, and here.

Jessica Joslin's "Waldo" is the most gorgeous clockwork bird.  Alas, remember what happened to Waldo.