Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Happy Birthday Gaudi! (two days late)


Catalan architect Antonio Gaudi's vivid architecture always seem like the ideal settings for the films of my dreams.  Their uncanny quality hints at otherworldly experiences and magic.  Gaudi used nature as the main source of inspiration for his built structures, and his masterpieces--Park Guell, Templo de La Sagrada Familia, Casa Battlo--mimic the curves and textures of the natural world.  Doesn't the above image look like the inside of a shell?  I have yet to visit Barcelona, but I long to.  If you're interested, be sure to check out Hiroshi Teshigahara's lyrical and haunting 1985 documentary.  The film is light on narration, but heavy on images, just as this post will be.  Enjoy!






Don't you want to live in a Gaudi Submarine?  I know I would.


**I'm two days late on posting Mr. Gaudi's Birthday tribute (160 years) because I just bought myself an Ipad, and for the last two days I was absolutely glued to the thing like it was some cranky newborn. I did have worries about purchasing this seductive vortex that magnetically sucked away all my time, but I've calmed down now.  This dragon reminded me that I was shirking other things. Rowwwr.  Step away from the gadget, lady!