Sunday, October 21, 2012

31 Days of Horror--Day 17 Gary Baseman's "Nightmares of Halloween's Past"


Gary Baseman is one of my favorite pop surrealists.  If you're not sure what that term might mean, go to Google images and type in "pop surrealist."  You will be introduced to a magical world of wonders where Basman, Mark Ryden, and Carmilla Rose Garcia reign supreme.  You can learn some of the basics here and here, but I suggest that you enjoy exploring these uncharted and bizarre lands by just wandering the web.


Unsurprisingly, Baseman is a big fan of Halloween, and is having a show of his collected vintage photos of costumed revelers at the KK Gallery in Los Angeles. located in the heart of Chinatown.  "Nightmares of Halloween's Past" is running from October 20th-November 24th, and really gets to the heart of how wonderfully creepy Halloween can be.



If you haven't seen Juan Antonio Bayona's The Orphanage (2007), then you should.  You won't be able to forget Tomas.


Or Sam (Samhain), the spirit of Halloween from Michael Dougherty's Trick 'R Treat (2007).


Seriously, if any parents out there are reading my blog, this costume--little cuddly onesie pajamas with a burlap sack on the head--seems like the ideal costume in which to dress your kid.  Freak out everyone!  Yes, I'm sick, but I'm fun!!

**In related news, I've got two venues at which I can dress in costume, so I'm going for both--Carrie's Mom first, then Steampunk vampire.  With the first, I will be carrying The Old Testament, a chef's knife, and a carrot (if you don't get it, re-watch the DePalma film), while wearing a lovely white nightgown.  In my Steampunk attire, I'm just deciding between top hat and goggles, and I've got a rad little gun.