Tuesday, October 23, 2012

31 Days of Horror--Day 20 Travis Louie's Dapper Monsters

Uncle Six Eyes
Okay, I'll admit, Travis Louie's adorable monsters are not really scary.  They are actually quite charming as they pose for their portrait.  Louie replicates the kind of sepia-toned shots of ancestors some families hold onto for generations--with a little bit of a twist.  If I had a proper hallway, I would love to line it with these gems, as if one could trace my heritage through some of the painting's details.  I might have Frank's ears.

Frank
Or Bill's smile.

Bill
Phineas


But not Phineas's nose, I'm afraid.  I definitely have more than a passing resemblance to the Vamp circa 1873.  I'm practically the spitting image!

The Vamp Circa 1873
These two lovelies are her best friends.  She tends to outshine them a bit when they spend time together.

Pals
One cannot forget the family pets!

Wilbur and his Hypnotic Gaze
Herman and Morris
Aunt Sarah always insisted on taking Emmett everywhere that she went.

Sarah and Emmett
Then there are those mysterious portraits that are clearly, CLEARLY no relation.

Charles Meek
Gill

You might recognize this gentleman.  He's a descendant of the famous Lynch family.  Although he and his wife, Mary, had a kid that looks quite a bit like Gill.

Infant from David Lynch's Eraserhead (1977)
Again, my motto of no kids, just kittens comes to mind.  At least one doesn't have to suffer from an affliction like Oscar's.

Oscar and the Truth Toad
To find out more about Pop Surrealist Travis Louie, visit his website, his blog, or this marvelous interview.  Here's a terrific video interview as well!